Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Step #5: Lapping the back faces on the Steady Rest frame

Rinse and repeat for the back using a feeler gauge to keep testing that you are staying absolutely parallel to the front face. Of course, you can also use a mill to do the same now that you have a good flat front surface to set face down. As with the front, just take off enough to get to a smooth surface. I've designed it so that the front to back thickness is not critical (but parallel is key).

You'll notice I added two brass strips to the saddle surface of the bottom of the frame. You can choose not to but I've just carefully lapped a 15 inch lathe bed that took hours and hours and I want a softer metal touching it wherever I can. There's plenty of material on the raw part to tune the center height to fit any of the WW style lathes.
Back of top and bottom frames lapped

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tool Grinding attachment for watchmakers lathe

Hi friends. So I've gotten terribly tired of dull bits and tools. If you're doing any work at all, you end up buying and endless sea...