Skip to main content

drive belt Pinch Pulley's for watchmakers lathe

One of the first projects I took on after getting my antique WW lathe was to improve the traction of the belt drive system. These little lathes are notorious for having the drive belt slip under only moderate loads. This helps in protecting the lightweight head stock and spindle but they are capable of doing a lot more if protected and outfitted properly to decrease load.

For me, this issue was a matter of traction not of tension. Increased belt tension would unduly wear on the hardened cone bearings of the headstock. My solution was to increase how much of the circumference of the headstock pulley was to be in contact with the belt. I decide to make a device to pull the belt around more of the headstock pulley. These pinch rollers would sit between the headstock and the counter shaft setup. Once installed, I was amazed at how much more robust the traction was. I can now take much more reasonable cuts without sacrificing the safety of emergency belt slippage from a jam and there I am able to keep the belt less tensioned rather than more.

Lathe pinch pulley frame
All parts of the pinch pulley rig were fabricated from scratch in steel, brass (and aluminum for the pulley wheels themselves). High speed ball bearings from large RC racers were pressed into the pulleys. They run very quietly.

lathe pinch pulley carriage installed
Just for fun, I make the top of the support column decorative with a tiny brass finial on top.

lathe pinch pulley showing adjustable clevis

Lathe pinch pulley increases traction

Lathe pinch pulley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indexing tool for watchmakers lathe

Hello friends
Today I completed the indexing tool for the watchmakers lathe. I've had on my wish list making some very fine rope knurl wheels and in order to do this I needed to be able to very accurately index the chuck. Having recently completed the new stands for the lathe with the accessory mounting t-slots, it seemed a perfect opportunity to design the indexing set up around just that. Below are the results

I had used the indexing pin and holes that come stock on the back of the headstock phenolic pulley. It's very hard to get light into there to insure a visual confirmation of inserting the pin into the right hole. I designed this new unit to put the pin on the back of the indexing plate and I put the pin support arm out far enough for good light and good visual line of sight.

I designed and 3D modeled the mounting tabs that use a 1/4-20 bolt to slide into the T-slots. You can see the mounting here.

I also developed the indexing pin as a spring loaded assembly. The insid…

Step #2: Designing and Modeling the Steady Rest

I have a lot of experience in going from concept to prototype as I am inventor with an industrial design degree and am fully trained in drafting and modeling my designs in a 3D program, and have had many of them rapid prototyped using today's cutting edge services available online.
I had also been experimenting with making parts from bronze infused stainless steel from shapeways rapid prototyping service and had been extremely impressed with how detailed, dimensionally accurate and functionally strong the parts made from this material and process were.

Diving in, I developed a micro-adjuster system that was low profile and could be adjusted with finger pressure yet lock down rock solid once dialed in. I also wanted the steady rest to pivot open like on the big boy lathes for the ability to perform multiple machining operations on a part and replace it into the lathe with extreme accuracy. It's also great for multiple parts in small runs.

It was also important to me to make th…

Step #1: Imagining the WW lathe Steady rest

After weeks of creating temporary solutions for holding longer pieces of stock and after an equal number of weeks searching online for a micro-adjustable steady rest (ebay included), I came to the conclusion that the vast majority of what was available for my beautiful little WW lathe were steady rests with much more basic functionality. Additionally, the vintage steady rests were regularly selling for astronomical numbers on Ebay. I resolved to design exactly what I wanted and make it! (Below is the completed result of what began as this wish to have something better than what was available). It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts as a kit for anyone who is interested and I'll do my best in this blog to detail all the specific process insights I learned while making this wonderful tool .
It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts o…