Skip to main content

Chip Shield for External Chuck Bearing

I've been using the external chuck bearing I made for a number of months and it works really well, The deflection from cutting larger diameter pieces, taking heavier cuts, or doing cutoff work, is near zero. The only drawback I discovered is that since the assembly is open to the bearings, occasionally chips come between the bearing collar behind the chuck and the smaller bearings rolling on it. Things get very very bumpy when that happens.
I decided to solve it with a chip shield that mounts to the chuck side of the bearing hoop.
Chip Shield for external chuck bearing
External Chuck bearing with shield in place

I used a piece of acetate template and cut to fit to the smaller diameter of the collet behind the chuck. it works like  charm! No more chip contamination and frankly, a much much easier job of cleaning up.
Scribing and cutting retaining ring from Delrin sheet

Completed Delrin retaining ring for external chuck bearing chip shield

I started with an 1/8" thick sheet of Delrin and cut it on the bandsaw and drilled holes in the correct locations. There are 8-24 through holes for mounting that finger carrier frames that I can use to mount the retaining ring.
Acetate shield template and cut

Chip Shield mounted on external chuck bearing
I mount the chuck, slide the external bearing ring over it and clamp/adjust it into place and then mount the chip shield.
External Chuck bearing and chip shield mounted

The acetate is very thin so it doesn't need a lot of space to insert behind the chuck. Off to the races on the next projects.
Thin chip shield in place

This has worked so well I think I'll design a set of higher legs for the bed and a custom chip and coolant pan with a pivoting and positionable clear pivot down shield. Can't wait!!
Cheers, Kevin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indexing tool for watchmakers lathe

Hello friends
Today I completed the indexing tool for the watchmakers lathe. I've had on my wish list making some very fine rope knurl wheels and in order to do this I needed to be able to very accurately index the chuck. Having recently completed the new stands for the lathe with the accessory mounting t-slots, it seemed a perfect opportunity to design the indexing set up around just that. Below are the results

I had used the indexing pin and holes that come stock on the back of the headstock phenolic pulley. It's very hard to get light into there to insure a visual confirmation of inserting the pin into the right hole. I designed this new unit to put the pin on the back of the indexing plate and I put the pin support arm out far enough for good light and good visual line of sight.

I designed and 3D modeled the mounting tabs that use a 1/4-20 bolt to slide into the T-slots. You can see the mounting here.

I also developed the indexing pin as a spring loaded assembly. The insid…

Step #2: Designing and Modeling the Steady Rest

I have a lot of experience in going from concept to prototype as I am inventor with an industrial design degree and am fully trained in drafting and modeling my designs in a 3D program, and have had many of them rapid prototyped using today's cutting edge services available online.
I had also been experimenting with making parts from bronze infused stainless steel from shapeways rapid prototyping service and had been extremely impressed with how detailed, dimensionally accurate and functionally strong the parts made from this material and process were.

Diving in, I developed a micro-adjuster system that was low profile and could be adjusted with finger pressure yet lock down rock solid once dialed in. I also wanted the steady rest to pivot open like on the big boy lathes for the ability to perform multiple machining operations on a part and replace it into the lathe with extreme accuracy. It's also great for multiple parts in small runs.

It was also important to me to make th…

Step #1: Imagining the WW lathe Steady rest

After weeks of creating temporary solutions for holding longer pieces of stock and after an equal number of weeks searching online for a micro-adjustable steady rest (ebay included), I came to the conclusion that the vast majority of what was available for my beautiful little WW lathe were steady rests with much more basic functionality. Additionally, the vintage steady rests were regularly selling for astronomical numbers on Ebay. I resolved to design exactly what I wanted and make it! (Below is the completed result of what began as this wish to have something better than what was available). It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts as a kit for anyone who is interested and I'll do my best in this blog to detail all the specific process insights I learned while making this wonderful tool .
It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts o…