Skip to main content

Derbyshire cross slide lock down for watchmakers lathe

I saw a wonderful idea on Pinterest where a gentleman had made a lock down nut with a lever on it for his cross slide. It eliminates always having to reach for the allen key. I made one and originally put a straight shaft in it for leverage like the one the gentleman made. Since the Derbyshire cross slide is for a watchmakers lathe, the straight shaft was too small and uncomfortable on my fingers. I tapped it out and remade it as a small ball ended lever. MUCH better and it works like a charm. I've made it so that the lever is straight up when the nut is allowing movement and a 1/4 turn to the right locks everything down well.
I also love the way the ball end looks and matches the other handles and cranks on the derbyshire cross slide.

Watchmakers lathe derbyshire cross slide lock down 

Watchmakers lathe derbyshire cross slide lock down 
The screw is actually quite tiny (5-40) so I used the machining and drilling attachment on my WW lathe to locate and drill out the hole for the ball end lever. Sorry about the blurred shot.  Didn't see it was out of focus until after the set up was complete and torn down.

Drilling the lever hole in the 5-40 screw
Since posting this a week or so ago, I've become increasingly unsatisfied with the performance of the Version #1 of the lock down. I redesigned it to have small brass star wheels as cinch nuts and went back to the simpler lever shaft. This works exquisitely well and frankly, gives me a finer degree of control than just the recessed set screws that needed to be tighter than I wanted them not to back out during vibration. Success....finally. 
Sometimes willingness to iterate makes all the difference...

Lathe cross slide lock down version #2 with cinch nuts

Lathe cross slide lock down version #2 with cinch nuts


Comments

  1. Kevin,
    I like your idea for the cross slide lock down using a small ball as the handle. I think I will try something similar for the compound lock on my 7" mini lathe. There is not much room so this should work. I made some of the clamping screws with levers posted on HomemadeTools.net . Thank you for the posting very clear photos on your blog. Many great ideas. Regards, Paul Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul
    Thanks. I found the ball was very comfortable to handle in a small space. I've come to prefer the small knurled nuts I did as the 2.0 solution but you might have different space constraints on your 7 inch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Indexing tool for watchmakers lathe

Hello friends
Today I completed the indexing tool for the watchmakers lathe. I've had on my wish list making some very fine rope knurl wheels and in order to do this I needed to be able to very accurately index the chuck. Having recently completed the new stands for the lathe with the accessory mounting t-slots, it seemed a perfect opportunity to design the indexing set up around just that. Below are the results

I had used the indexing pin and holes that come stock on the back of the headstock phenolic pulley. It's very hard to get light into there to insure a visual confirmation of inserting the pin into the right hole. I designed this new unit to put the pin on the back of the indexing plate and I put the pin support arm out far enough for good light and good visual line of sight.

I designed and 3D modeled the mounting tabs that use a 1/4-20 bolt to slide into the T-slots. You can see the mounting here.

I also developed the indexing pin as a spring loaded assembly. The insid…

Step #1: Imagining the WW lathe Steady rest

After weeks of creating temporary solutions for holding longer pieces of stock and after an equal number of weeks searching online for a micro-adjustable steady rest (ebay included), I came to the conclusion that the vast majority of what was available for my beautiful little WW lathe were steady rests with much more basic functionality. Additionally, the vintage steady rests were regularly selling for astronomical numbers on Ebay. I resolved to design exactly what I wanted and make it! (Below is the completed result of what began as this wish to have something better than what was available). It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts as a kit for anyone who is interested and I'll do my best in this blog to detail all the specific process insights I learned while making this wonderful tool .
It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts o…

Step #2: Designing and Modeling the Steady Rest

I have a lot of experience in going from concept to prototype as I am inventor with an industrial design degree and am fully trained in drafting and modeling my designs in a 3D program, and have had many of them rapid prototyped using today's cutting edge services available online.
I had also been experimenting with making parts from bronze infused stainless steel from shapeways rapid prototyping service and had been extremely impressed with how detailed, dimensionally accurate and functionally strong the parts made from this material and process were.

Diving in, I developed a micro-adjuster system that was low profile and could be adjusted with finger pressure yet lock down rock solid once dialed in. I also wanted the steady rest to pivot open like on the big boy lathes for the ability to perform multiple machining operations on a part and replace it into the lathe with extreme accuracy. It's also great for multiple parts in small runs.

It was also important to me to make th…