Skip to main content

Carriage Stop For Watchmakers Lathe Cross Slide

I'm in the midst of a project making 4 double bearing pots for hanging shafts on a threading tool I've designed. This requires a lot of boring out of material in a very repetitive manner. I got tired by the second pot casing of endlessly counting out the revolutions on the cross slide longitudinal feed so as not to accidentally plunge the boring bar into the bottom of the pot and cause a big mess in the process.
My solution was to whip up a small carriage stop that I could adjust for both positive and negative X travel. The results are below
carriage stop for watchmakers lathe cross slide

Carriage stop for watchmakers lathe cross slide

The brass frame for the stop is dovetailed to fit snugly over the bed of the cross slide and clamps down tightly using an 8-32 stainless cap head bolt.
Dovetailed carriage stop in brass for watchmakers lathe

As you can see, the length of the traveling threaded rod comes to just behind the crank handle (whew) at full retraction.
Fully retracted carriage stop shaft fits behind hand crank

I've also relieved the far side of the frame so that I can also use it on the chuck side of the slide if I ever need to. This allows me to get reasonably close to the spinning chuck. Most of the time I'm sure I'll be using it on the off side.
Carriage stop mounted on near side of watchmakers lathe cross slide

Carriage stop mounted on near side and relieved close to chuck

I plan to design some small knurled stainless nuts rather than use the hardware store nickel plated variety presently on the shaft. They'll look better and spin left and right much fast as well and won't require a tool to tighten. I'll post that as soon as I'm done with them.
cheers, Kevin


Popular posts from this blog

Indexing tool for watchmakers lathe

Hello friends
Today I completed the indexing tool for the watchmakers lathe. I've had on my wish list making some very fine rope knurl wheels and in order to do this I needed to be able to very accurately index the chuck. Having recently completed the new stands for the lathe with the accessory mounting t-slots, it seemed a perfect opportunity to design the indexing set up around just that. Below are the results

I had used the indexing pin and holes that come stock on the back of the headstock phenolic pulley. It's very hard to get light into there to insure a visual confirmation of inserting the pin into the right hole. I designed this new unit to put the pin on the back of the indexing plate and I put the pin support arm out far enough for good light and good visual line of sight.

I designed and 3D modeled the mounting tabs that use a 1/4-20 bolt to slide into the T-slots. You can see the mounting here.

I also developed the indexing pin as a spring loaded assembly. The insid…

Step #1: Imagining the WW lathe Steady rest

After weeks of creating temporary solutions for holding longer pieces of stock and after an equal number of weeks searching online for a micro-adjustable steady rest (ebay included), I came to the conclusion that the vast majority of what was available for my beautiful little WW lathe were steady rests with much more basic functionality. Additionally, the vintage steady rests were regularly selling for astronomical numbers on Ebay. I resolved to design exactly what I wanted and make it! (Below is the completed result of what began as this wish to have something better than what was available). It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts as a kit for anyone who is interested and I'll do my best in this blog to detail all the specific process insights I learned while making this wonderful tool .
It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts o…

Step #2: Designing and Modeling the Steady Rest

I have a lot of experience in going from concept to prototype as I am inventor with an industrial design degree and am fully trained in drafting and modeling my designs in a 3D program, and have had many of them rapid prototyped using today's cutting edge services available online.
I had also been experimenting with making parts from bronze infused stainless steel from shapeways rapid prototyping service and had been extremely impressed with how detailed, dimensionally accurate and functionally strong the parts made from this material and process were.

Diving in, I developed a micro-adjuster system that was low profile and could be adjusted with finger pressure yet lock down rock solid once dialed in. I also wanted the steady rest to pivot open like on the big boy lathes for the ability to perform multiple machining operations on a part and replace it into the lathe with extreme accuracy. It's also great for multiple parts in small runs.

It was also important to me to make th…