Skip to main content

Watchmakers Lathe Tailstock lever

I love the accuracy of the antique tailstock that came with the American Watch Tool Lathe I picked up at a flea market here in Rhode Island but it lacked the ability to sensitively move a drill in and out in the way I wanted to. the little cellulose knob at the end of the runner gave no leverage and no reduced ratio of movement to finesse the in and out movement of the runner.

I'd seen more upscale production versions of the tailstock that had been made with a screw drive or lever for moving the runner in and out and since I am also a designer and inventor, I decided to enjoy building a quality linkage out of brass and steel (from scratch) to upgrade the tailstock. The results are below.

I'm starting with a few of the in-progress shots so you'll see a temporary undefined pivot pin sticking out of the bottom of the lever. Shortly it will look like the ogee-domed captured pivot with the steel retaining plates that you can see on the tailstock clevis.

The heavy lifting was machining the lever itself out of a 1inch by 1inch by six inch long brass bar. Lots of material removal combined with careful filing and checking from side to side for the curved lever. It feels great in the hand and the whole assembly glides incredibly smoothly giving lots of feedback for what's happening on the other end of the runner. It also requires no alteration of the original tailstock. I very carefully shaped and machined the lower brass clevis to snugly fit the four sided curved surfaces of the tailstock body. When the tiny clamp nut is tightened down it locks in place quite nicely with no wiggle. I'm considering adding an tiny over-center lock on the nut end to push against the body just for assurances.

Lots of finishing and polishing to do yet and I'm working on an upgrade for the runner with a very accurate small chuck as well. Lastly will be a stripping of the nickel plating on the whole lathe, a careful polish and then replating! I love the look of brass with steel or nickel and the remarkable performance of the lathe seems to me to be well worth the effort of cleaning it up and restoring it (with a few personal touches of my own).

Cheers, Kevin

Watchmakers lathe tailstock with custom lever

Watchmakers lathe tailstock lever linkage

Watchmakers lathe tailstock new lever assembly

Watchmakers lathe tailstock in progress 

Watchmakers lathe tailstock lever withdrawn

Watchmakers lathe tailstock lever and runner fully advanced

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indexing tool for watchmakers lathe

Hello friends
Today I completed the indexing tool for the watchmakers lathe. I've had on my wish list making some very fine rope knurl wheels and in order to do this I needed to be able to very accurately index the chuck. Having recently completed the new stands for the lathe with the accessory mounting t-slots, it seemed a perfect opportunity to design the indexing set up around just that. Below are the results

I had used the indexing pin and holes that come stock on the back of the headstock phenolic pulley. It's very hard to get light into there to insure a visual confirmation of inserting the pin into the right hole. I designed this new unit to put the pin on the back of the indexing plate and I put the pin support arm out far enough for good light and good visual line of sight.

I designed and 3D modeled the mounting tabs that use a 1/4-20 bolt to slide into the T-slots. You can see the mounting here.

I also developed the indexing pin as a spring loaded assembly. The insid…

Step #1: Imagining the WW lathe Steady rest

After weeks of creating temporary solutions for holding longer pieces of stock and after an equal number of weeks searching online for a micro-adjustable steady rest (ebay included), I came to the conclusion that the vast majority of what was available for my beautiful little WW lathe were steady rests with much more basic functionality. Additionally, the vintage steady rests were regularly selling for astronomical numbers on Ebay. I resolved to design exactly what I wanted and make it! (Below is the completed result of what began as this wish to have something better than what was available). It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts as a kit for anyone who is interested and I'll do my best in this blog to detail all the specific process insights I learned while making this wonderful tool .
It is now working so well, I decided to do more than post the fun of making it. I'll be offering the main parts o…

Step #2: Designing and Modeling the Steady Rest

I have a lot of experience in going from concept to prototype as I am inventor with an industrial design degree and am fully trained in drafting and modeling my designs in a 3D program, and have had many of them rapid prototyped using today's cutting edge services available online.
I had also been experimenting with making parts from bronze infused stainless steel from shapeways rapid prototyping service and had been extremely impressed with how detailed, dimensionally accurate and functionally strong the parts made from this material and process were.

Diving in, I developed a micro-adjuster system that was low profile and could be adjusted with finger pressure yet lock down rock solid once dialed in. I also wanted the steady rest to pivot open like on the big boy lathes for the ability to perform multiple machining operations on a part and replace it into the lathe with extreme accuracy. It's also great for multiple parts in small runs.

It was also important to me to make th…